Thursday, April 21, 2011

Pitchers - thrown, recycled clay, reduction fired

 The handle for this pitcher is tooooo long!  The apex is too far from the wall of the pitcher and too small to grasp with three or four fingers comfortably and makes the jug too heavy when lifted.  I do like how the texturing of the pitcher surface turned out - I used a trimming tool to produce this scalloped look, and also used the same tool to texture the handle as well.  Glaze is woo interior with clear and pearl over woo exterior.  Waxed over the pearl/woo area and then dipped in clear.

 This was the first pitcher that I threw and I knew it was too heavy with thicker walls near the base so I used a coiled spring to scrape out textured facets in the walls of the pitcher.  It gives it an interesting geometric shape, but unfortunately the pitcher is still too heavy.  I stained the exterior with iron oxide and then dipped in spodumene white which gives it an aged look - the thin areas are brown and aged, while thicker areas are white and matte.  The interior is bermuda.

No comments:

Post a Comment