Monday, February 28, 2011

Large casserole - wheel thrown, recycled clay, oxidation fired, carbon transfered crane painted with dk red and black underglaze with celadon, temmoku under pearl, masked with tape, slate over green crystal interior

This is the first time tried making a lidded vessel.  I decided to make it as the piece took shape - I'll plan better next time.  You need to throw a slightly thicker rim so that you can throw a gallery for the lid.  I threw a couple of upside-down bowls for the lid, and the first one I trimmed worked out.  The main challenge is using the right amount of clay to get the lid the proper size and also to match the curves and shape of the lid to those of the body.  Both pieces need to integrate well together.  I was running out of time and so had to fashion the lugs in a short amt of time, hence they are not completely symmetrical nor very pretty to look at.

For the glazing, I traced the crane image from an illustration and transferred it to the pot on both sides and then painted with dk red and black underglaze.  Then I masked the area with tape and glazed the rest of the body interior and exterior.  Interior is slate over green? and outer is pearl over temmoku - the pearl went on thick, I think it was the bottom of the bucket which is why the piece is so white.  Then I waxed the body and removed the mask and dipped in celadon.  The brushwork turned out ok, although I could definitely refine my skills there!

No comments:

Post a Comment