Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thrown family of cups, surface altered. Recycled clay, reduction fired, various glazes

These are my current favorites of all the pieces I have made! I tried again to make a set of 4 identical cups, using just over 1lb of recycled clay for each. Unfortunately, while throwing some of the cups, I had to remove some of the clay from the rim because the walls weren't even. Anyhow, I added the grooves on the wheel by hand using fingers and the thinner grooves using rib, while the clay was still wet. This made the inner walls of the cup wavy so I used ribs to smooth those out again as best I could. For glazing I played around with layering referencing some of the test bowls in the studio - from left right, pearl / woo; woo / temmoku, woo/toffee, clear / woo. During this semester, I've improved my turning skills a lot too with all the practice so these cups all have pretty nice feet. Also I find that I don't waste nearly as much clay while throwing as I used to, which is more efficient.

1 comment: