Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Tiles, BMIX, stamped with cardboard template. Brushed with 2 layers of glaze, Reduction fired. Iron oxide stain on underside

I made some nice tiles in the Fall - the design was inspired by a set of silicon rubber coasters we have - I took the basic design and used wavy lines instead of straight clean contemporary lines - its hard to preserve that look precisely in clay! I cut out a cardboard template of the pattern and pressed it into cut slabs (tiles) of soft clay. Because the cardboard absorbed moisture from the clay, the templace got flimsy and so the imparted pattern also has a wavy texture and is not completely flat - this actually ended up complementing the wavy linear pattern! I dipped the tiles in one glaze and then brushed on a second glaze in the raised areas for contrast. The glaze combinations are Shop Shino / Green Crystal; Woo / Green Crystal; Temmoku ; Satin White; Satin White / Temmoku; Slate Blue / Red Rasberry. I've added some foam pieces to the underside so that they can be used as trivets or coasters.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I hope you're still working with clay- these are amazing. I just started and love what you did, here.

    ReplyDelete