Thursday, December 9, 2010

SOLD! - Sushi / Serving Trays

 I learned how to make these small ceramic trays in the fall.  They are quite fun to make.  You roll a slab of clay, imprint some texture using a plaster form, and then press the shape into a block of foam which forms the tray.  I snipped some of the corners of some of the trays.  They actually turned out ok.  I did a lot of experimenting with different glaze and stain combinations for these pieces, but all of them use some lt celadon over copper carbonate stain.  They are reduction fired, and are made with Akio clay, a really groggy clay that is full of texture.  The grog really makes the clay fun and ideal for handbuilding since it has a lot of inherent strength (doesn't slump).  I was surprised that they all sold at the PCC Holiday Sale (except for the small square dish) so I think I will try to make some more and improve on my technique.  The celadon glaze is a lot darker on Akio vs. the recycled clay.

No comments:

Post a Comment