Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Bowl Series I

Wheel thrown, B-Mix, Reduction Fired, Dipped
 half bermuda half lt. celadon, dk red underglaze motif

Kona Bowl (top), Wheel thrown b-mix clay, reduction fired

 I started throwing a bunch of bowls 2nd semester to practice generating smooth continuous curved walls.  This starts with centering a low wide disc of clay and then opening up a shallow curved depression, pulling the walls outward and upward simultaneously.  These bowls were made using about 1lb of clay.  I made several different shapes of bowls and really got a lot of good practice turning foots and creating surface textures.  Because B-mix has no grog, the turning is really smooth and nice.  I like the way the 2 transparent glazes overlap, as well as the purplish tones in the blue bermuda glaze.


I think I must have knocked this bowl during transport since its got some dents in the rim.  I glazed the bowl with MD shino which made this interesting textured surface in the inside surface.  During firing, some slate must have dripped from a nearby piece in the kiln, but it made a great accent.  The outside of the bowl has a layer of temmoku over the shino.

Below I used a loop tool to carve concentric concave grooves in the side of the bowl right down to the foot.  It made for a really elegant bowl.  Unfortunately some of that quality was lost after glazing and firing.  I probably should have used a lighter more transparent glaze.




Kona bowl (side) - Temmoku over MD shino outer,
MD Shino with Slate drip inner
(side) Wheel thrown B-mix, turned concave grooves using
 loop tool with concave foot groove

Temmoku with temmoku drip inner, clear over temmoku outer

No comments:

Post a Comment