Thursday, December 9, 2010

Practicing throwing small bowls....contd

 Practice practice practice.....more bmix, reduction fired, with lt celadon and dk red underglaze.  This time used temmoku on the outside of the bowls.  It makes for a nice overlap pattern as seen in the first photo at right.  I liked trimming small feet on these bowls, although I guess this does not make for the most stable of pieces, but I think it makes it look really elegant.  I started out thinking of making some small bowls for holding baby food but now that I think about it, ceramic (breakable) bowls are probably not good to have near babies :).

The last bowl has an interesting story.  I lifted it from the drying shelf to trim, and knocked the upper shelf against the rim accidentally, creating 2 notches in the rim.  I ended up incorporating these into the bowl design - maybe for holding a utensil? I might try to incorporate this into future designs.  I like how the celadon glaze pools into the notches creating a darker contrast.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment