Wednesday, November 24, 2010

SOLD (my first sale!) Drippy Sunset Over Ocean cup - Thrown and carved during turning, Oxidation fired, slate over woo yellow, Glossy Clear

One of the first cups that I threw. I got a lot of turning and carving practice in the first semester because I had difficulty controlling the clay while throwing and a lot of my pieces came out heavy or asymmetrical. To hide that, I would carve in some texture or try to glaze in a way that would draw attention away from the uneven shape. Here I used trimming tools to carve in some undulation in the walls of the cup. I poured glossy clear glaze in the inside of the cup. Then dipped 2/3 of the cup rim down into woo yellow. The bottom 2/3 of the cup was dipped in slate to get the layering effect. You can see that the slate got really drippy in the kiln on top of the woo - yeah I meant for that to happen :).

1 comment: