Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thrown and altered teacup, recycled clay. Pearl with blackbird/pearl.

To augment my class learning, I started looking at several pottery books from the library. With this piece I decided to try faceting. After throwing this tea cup, I used my fingers to delineate edges for facets on the inside surface and then gently creased the cup with my hands to create the facets. I tried my best to make an octagon - it seemed to turn out ok. While trimming, I carved out a spiral texture in the bottom of the cup. I should have also trimmed some more clay from the walls since its a bit too heavy. The iridescence of the pearl glaze goes well with the blackbird and also brings out the interior texture - actually its difficult to see but the blackbird over pearl gets some metallic blue flecs and interesting silver/gold streaks. Blackbird is not food safe (gets pitted by citrus / acids) - but on the outside its ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment