Wednesday, November 24, 2010

My First Finished Piece. Oxidation fired, thrown and carved during turning BCS-6. Matte Turquoise glaze with iron oxide stain.

This is the first finished piece I ever made back in the summer. The surface glaze didn't come out the way I had originally planned but I have grown to like it more and more. The inside is just a bright turquoise matte. While turning the piece I scored the outer surface with my needle tool to create some concentric grooves. After bisque-firing, I rubbed iron oxide stain into the grooves and then used a damp sponge to wipe away the excess. I then dipped the entire piece in the turquoise matte glaze. Because the stained surface had not yet dried (from the wiping), the glaze didn't really stick on the outside and instead left a matte clear finish, with some residual hazy turquoise. I think it makes the piece look kind of earthy and different. The walls are kind of thick and heavy, but hey, not bad for my first!

No comments:

Post a Comment