Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thrown and carved mugs. Recycled clay, reduction fired Phila and toffee glaze

During the 2nd semester, my throwing skills improved a lot. Here I tried to throw two identical cups from about 1.25lbs of recycled clay. In the picture they look close, but actually one is fatter and one is skinnier - I call them the brother and sister cups (I won't say which is the fatter one). I decided to do some carving again (I find smooth surfaces boring I guess). Originally I had taken a grooved metal rib and tried putting concentric grooves on the entire outer surface but I didn't like that look because there were lots of clay burrs and it wasn't smooth or modern looking, just messy. So then I smoothed out the grooves by hand and just used the grooved rib to score grouped hash marks in the side of the cup. Then I turned some grooves on the wheel above and below the hash marks. During glazing I dipped the cups in Phila, I should have put a thicker coat on since the turquoise/blue is not very bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment